I was looking over my posts for the lasts few weeks and even I was bored and depressed to see that I’ve had nothing to write about except for tv shows and how miserable I am working the hours I am currently working. So with that in mind I’m posting this week’s insights to Top Chef because I need a breather to make up for the fact that it’s 11 PM on a Friday and I’m still working (pretty good huh – I managed to whine about work while talking about tv shows).
1) I didn’t care for guest judge Scott Conant who (at least in my opinion) seemed pretty cocky for someone whom I’ve never even heard of before. At first I thought he at least could claim that he had dated one of the Olsen twins, but I think that was a different Scott…
2) This week was a Top Chef all stars episode where they brought back previous season’s contestants. I think the problem with this plan was that they didn’t bring back the best chefs, like Faux-hawk Richard and Marcel: the original Hung, both of which would definitely have done a lot more damage. Although, I was happy to see Spike and his boy “I have a culinary boner” Andrew back on the show.
3) I’ve been rooting for Carla to get kicked off the show since day one mostly because she 1) seems like a genuinely nice person (nice people don’t make for interesting reality shows (cue: Speidi)) and 2) extremely nuts… she explained to the judges last week (when called out for sending out crappy food) that she was sending out love… whaaa?! But last night I decided she might be one of my favorites – I don’t know why – she hasn’t changed at all, I just realized I appreciate the nice-nuttiness she provides for my viewing pleasure each Wednesday night. And then during the very episode that I decided I would root for her, she won. She got 2 tickets to the Superbowl, how amazing is that! I’m so happy for her… it’s good that I’ve changed my mind about her, otherwise I’d be pissed.
4) Fabio – I’ve always thought he was awesome (I’d vote him in as fan favorite – if I cared enough to vote. You never know – I might…) because he’s absolutely hilarious. However, he is on Ryan’s team so I don’t actually want him to win… or at least I didn’t until last night. He mentioned that his mother’s sick and he wants to win to help out with medical bills… awwww, well how can I cheer against selflessness.
5) The cheating… this was last episode but as I wasn’t interested enough in last week’s episode to comment on it – I’ll add it here. Throughout the season they have been building up this “connection” between two competitors Hosea (from my team) and Leah, even though they both have significant others. And last week they kissed… dum da dum! They had this huge build up to it and afterwards they both spent the last 2 episodes whining about it. Get over it! Yes, you are a horrible person who cheated on your significant other on national TV and now they are probably mortified… shut up about it! Now, before this sounds incredibly insensitive – please know that although obviously everyone thinks that cheating is bad… I think I get more upset than most people. I get morally offended if someone cheats in a book I am reading – and don’t get me started on movies. But the problem is, they had this huge build up followed by all this whining – and not a lot of footage of the action. The camera angle was horrible, it lasted less than a minute and most of it had to be left to your imagination, which couldn’t be that crazy since you could see their non-entwined bodies from the chest down… what kind of good entertainment is that I ask?
6) The bottom 3 was an absolute catastrophe for me tonight: Stephan and Jeff (both my team) and then my new fan favorite Fabio. This was a lose, lose, lose situation for me!!! They kicked off Jeff – okay, he does cooks Eurasian-ish food – which is my favorite, so I’d probably like his food the best, but personality-wise he was pretty boring. So I take the loss and now it’s back to a tie between Ryan and me over whose cuisine will reign supreme?… oops, wrong show.
7) Aww – my favorite chef (in terms of personality – I haven’t actually eaten at his restaurant ever) Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin is going to be the guest judge next week – IAMSOEXCITEDICANNOTWAIT!!!! From the previews for next week it looks like I will not be disappointed. Toby Young calls him Obi-Wan Kenobi. Loves it!